Saturday, March 18, 2006

Material for "Handicapped"

Yesterday my partner and I went to Alive Hospice to speak to the Director about displaying her photography for the residents to enjoy. It was a very difficult experience for her and myself as we have both lost our grandparents that we were very close to, as well as a mutual good friend that battled cancer. We toured the facility, and found it to be a very nice place for residents and their families to be together.

We were both feeling a bit down after the experience and decided to get some lunch to cheer us both up. We walked into a restaurant that caters to gay patronage and who did we see? My coworkers from work. That is when I decided that this would be good material for my one woman show, "Handicapped", because when they saw me walk in, I was as good as a lepor. Not to mention that when I introduced my partner to them, they simply stared at her and provided much uncomfortable silence.

You see, I decided that I would base my play on the term "Handicapped" to indicate that people that fall into this category don't necessarily fall into a "physically or mentally" challenged definition. They could fall into any type of definition that limits their growth, character or spirituality as a person. I think the handicapped term I am speaking of is BIGOTRY.

More musings later

No comments: