That's not to say that I don't like to have a good laugh at my own expense! I've invested quite a few dollars in t-shirt collections such as:
"I'm not getting jiggy with it, I have Parkinson's disease",
or another favorite that is short and concise:"Parkinson's Sucks"
I finally decided to stop wearing the first shirt because all the older people at the mall thought I was making fun of Parkinson's patients. The blue hairs get mighty pissed if they think you are dissing one of their own. I can't wait to be a blue hair!
Here are some of my favorite Parkinson's moments (all true, mind you)
- I'm seated writing...the doorbell rings and I get up to answer it. I open the door and see the mailman and pass out (only for a few moments). When I come to, he leans over and says, "Sign here please."
- I'm at the grocery store with my partner and I'm walking like I'm drunk. She offers me the basket to hold onto as I hear a couple behind us whispering very loudly, "Oh dear, she is drunk as a skunk! It's only 1:30 pm! That is shameful!"
- I started talking to my partner rather loudly. "Can we go back to the bar now? My vodka buzz is wearing off."
- I'm at the neurologist's office. He has a sarcastic wit about him and I'm moaning and groaning about new symptoms. I keep waiting for him to say something soothing and he looks at me and deadpans: "Whaddya want? Parkinson's sucks" and he smirks. Ya gotta love'em!
- My neurologist's phone number is programmed in my phone. When I dial it, or he dials me, Michael J. Fox's picture is displayed.
- I went bowling with my partner one time and when I let the ball go down the lane, so did my body.
- When you're drunk, no one knows it.
I gotta go, my neurologist is calling me...Later