Monday, August 10, 2009

Writers

Writers are strange, mysterious, wounded and magical. I'm not calling myself "magical" but I definitely fit the other criteria. The fact that writers labor over an opening sentence to their novel, writing articles, essays and other modes of communication all for the sake of having it be as perfect as possible speaks volumes about their uniqueness and pursuit of magic.
Tonight, I was working late and a Google alert came up that one of my favorite writers had just posted to her blog. I've long admired her writing talent and I have to admit that when I read her posts, I silently wish that I had her way with words. She can arrange a cluster of letters to form words that evoke emotions that I alone relate to on such a deep level. Of course, all of her readers feel this way. Hence, my admiration.

Tonight she spoke about a novel she was writing. I was thrilled and will most definitely buy it. She mentioned about self-publishing it, and I saw my chance to offer some suggestions (although I am sure she knows all about this subject.) After hitting the send button, I noticed a few moments later that a reply came. This incredible writer found my bio and wrote me the following short message:

..."You're a genius and Renaissance person. Good luck with the sales of your own book. If you want me to review it, please just mail it or email gallies. It would be an honor to review..."

I was dumbstruck. I read it over and over. I thought about the term "Renaissance person" and read it a few more times. She obviously saw where I was accepted to U.T. at Arlington at the age of 12 for a summer percussion symposium. Genius? No way, I just peaked early.

Cultural Dictionary meaning of "Renaissance Person "
Noun: An outstandingly versatile, well-rounded person. The expression alludes to such Renaissance figures as Leonardo da Vinci, who performed brilliantly in many different fields.
The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third EditionCopyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. Cite This Source

I looked at it again...and again.

I looked up the definition.

I'm still looking at it.

My feet have yet to touch the ground and I've said a thousand silent THANK YOU's.

More Musings I'm sure-

No comments: